Volotea [bo.loˈte.a] is a Spanish low-cost airline registered in Castrillón, Spain with bases in Spain, Italy, France and Greece.
Volotea was established by Alaeo S.L. from Barcelona, an organization created by former Vueling founders, Carlos Muñoz and Lázaro Ros. The identify “Volotea” originates from the Spanish verb “revolotear,” which means “to fly round.” It commenced operations on 5 April 2012, from Venice Marco Polo Airport.
The corporate is backed by three private-equity funds, two of them from Europe (Axis Participaciones Empresariales and Corpfin Capital) and a 3rd from the US (CCMP Capital), whose chairman, Greg Brenneman, was one-time President and COO of America’s Continental Airways, and in addition chairs Volotea’s board. The corporate raised over €50m earlier than operations started.
US CCMP Capital Companions holds 49% of voting rights; Axis and Corpfin Capital 25%; and Muñoz and Ros 26% together with relations: this possession has existed since basis, but it surely might change earlier than an preliminary public providing earlier than 2021-2022.
After finding out the Bombardier CRJ1000 and the Embraer E-195 in 2011, Volotea chosen the Boeing 717 after Southwest Airways acquired AirTran and changed its 717 fleet.Boeing introduced on 15 February 2012 that it had signed a long-term lease cope with Volotea for an undisclosed variety of Boeing 717 plane. In March 2015, it was introduced that Volotea would obtain an extra 4 717s from Blue1. Nonetheless, in November 2015, Volotea introduced plans to section out its 717 fleet over the subsequent few years and exchange it with Airbus A320 household plane.
Volotea opened 90 routes in its first yr, of which 40 had been closed inside two years; it operated nearly 300 routes in summer time 2018 together with 220 openings, and this might double to no less than 500-600 throughout Europe.
Volotea has been worthwhile since 2014, a turnover of €360 million ($431 million) is predicted in 2018 after $347M in 2017, carrying 5.7 to six million passengers, 50% being leisure travellers, 35% visiting mates and relations, and 15% enterprise travellers.
Because of the 2017–18 Spanish constitutional disaster, in 2017 Volotea modified the headquarters to Asturias Airport, Castrillon, Asturias, Spain.
As of June 2018, the airline has carried 18 million passengers since starting operations in 2012.
The main target of Volotea’s route community is on locations across the European aspect of the Mediterranean coast in addition to Western and Southern Europe. As of Might 2018, Volotea serves metropolitan and leisure locations primarily in Spain, France, Italy and Greece with locations in Austria, Croatia, Czechia, Germany, Eire, Luxembourg, and Portugal. Volotea served its first African vacation spot (Tangier, Morocco) on 5 April 2019.
As of March 2020, the Volotea fleet consists of the next plane:
- Drum, Bruce (31 March 2012). “Volotea begins constitution operations”. Retrieved 21 February 2017.
- Baigorri, Manuel. “New Provider Volotea Units Up In Barcelona, Base Of Failed Spanair.” Bloomberg. 15 February 2012. Retrieved on 12 June 2012.
- “Venice launch for Europe’s latest LCC Volotea; 76 routes deliberate this summer time throughout 53 airports in 10 international locations”. anna.aero. 12 April 2012. Retrieved 16 July 2017.
- “Proper Away and All at As soon as: How We Saved Continental”. In: Harvard Enterprise Assessment on Disaster Administration.
- King, Amy (February 17, 2012). “CCMP, Axis and Corpfin again Volotea”. unquote.com. Retrieved July 16, 2017.
- Oliver Clark (23 Might 2018). “INTERVIEW: Carlos Munoz, chief govt, Volotea”. Flightglobal.
- “Boeing, New European Airline Volotea Comply with 717 Leasing Deal”. boeing.mediaroom.com. February 15, 2012. Retrieved July 16, 2017.
- “Finland’s Blue to dump B717 fleet to Volotea, Delta”. Retrieved 21 February 2017.
- “Volotea to section out B717s in favour of A319s”. ch-aviation.com. November 10, 2015. Retrieved July 16, 2017.
- “Volotea celebrates 18 million passengers”. TravelDailyNews Worldwide. Retrieved 2018-06-18.
- volotea.com – Locations retrieved 20 Might 2018
- “Volotea ouvre un Nantes – Tanger”. air-journal.fr. Retrieved 15 November 2018.
- “Volotea Airline Info”. ch-aviation.com. Retrieved July 16, 2017.
- Volotea 717 Fleet
- ch-aviation.com – Volotea to section out B717s in favour of A319s 10 November 2015
Media associated to Volotea at Wikimedia Commons