Japan attracted 31.19 million worldwide vacationers in 2018. Japan has 21 World Heritage Websites, together with Himeji Fort, Historic Monuments of Historic Kyoto and Nara. In style foreigner points of interest embody Tokyo and Hiroshima, Mount Fuji, ski resorts equivalent to Niseko in Hokkaido, Okinawa, using the shinkansen and profiting from Japan’s lodge and hotspring community.
The 2017 Journey and Tourism Competitiveness Report ranked Japan 4th out of 141 international locations general, which was the best in Asia. Japan gained comparatively excessive scores in virtually the entire featured features, equivalent to well being and hygiene, security and safety, and cultural assets and enterprise journey.
The origins of early traditions of visits to picturesque websites are unclear, however an early sight-seeing tour was Matsuo Bashō’s 1689 journey to the then “far north” of Japan, which occurred not lengthy after Hayashi Razan categorized the Three Views of Japan in 1643. Throughout the Edo period of Japan, from round 1600 to the Meiji Restoration in 1867, journey was regulated throughout the nation via the usage of shukuba or submit stations, cities the place vacationers needed to current acceptable documentation. Regardless of these restrictions, porter stations and horse stables, in addition to locations for lodging and meals had been obtainable on well-traveled routes. Throughout this time, Japan was a closed nation to foreigners, so no international tourism existed in Japan.
Following the Meiji Restoration and the constructing of a nationwide railroad community, tourism turned extra of an reasonably priced prospect for home residents and guests from international international locations might enter Japan legally. As early as 1887, authorities officers acknowledged the necessity for an organized system of attracting international vacationers; the Kihinkai (貴賓会), which aimed to coordinate the gamers in tourism, was established that yr with Prime Minister Itō Hirobumi’s blessing. Its early leaders included Shibusawa Eiichi and Ekida Takashi. One other main milestone within the improvement of the tourism business in Japan was the 1907 passage of the Resort Growth Legislation, on account of which the Railways Ministry started to assemble publicly owned resorts all through Japan.
For a lot of post-World Conflict II historical past, Japan has been an exceptionally unattractive vacationer vacation spot for its inhabitants and GDP measurement; from 1995 to 2014, it was by far the least visited nation within the G7 regardless of being the second largest nation within the group, and as of 2013 was one of many least visited international locations within the OECD on a per capita foundation.
In 2018 and 2019, 31,191,856 international vacationers visited Japan.
in 2019 to 2018
2017 to 2018
2016 to 2017
2015 to 2016
|All international locations||31,191,856||8.7%||28,690,900||19.3%||24,039,053||21.8%|
Tourism in the present day
Home tourism stays a significant a part of the Japanese financial system and Japanese tradition. Youngsters in lots of center colleges see the spotlight of their years as a go to to Tokyo Disneyland or maybe Tokyo Tower, and plenty of highschool college students usually go to Okinawa or Hokkaido. The intensive rail community along with home flights generally in planes with modifications to favor the comparatively quick distances concerned in intra-Japan journey permits environment friendly and speedy transport. Worldwide tourism performs a smaller function within the Japanese financial system in comparison with different developed international locations; in 2013, worldwide vacationer receipts was 0.3% of Japan’s GDP, whereas the corresponding determine was 1.3% for the USA and a couple of.3% for France.
In inbound tourism, Japan was ranked 28th on the earth in 2007 when the nation had the 2nd largest GDP. In 2009, the Yomiuri Shimbun printed a contemporary checklist of well-known sights beneath the identify Heisei Hyakkei (the Hundred Views of the Heisei interval).
Vacationers from South Korea have made up the biggest variety of inbound vacationers a number of instances prior to now. In 2010, their 2.4 million arrivals made up 27% of the vacationers visiting Japan.
Vacationers from China have been the best spenders in Japan by nation, spending an estimated 196.4 billion yen (US$2.4 billion) in 2011, or virtually 1 / 4 of whole expenditure by international guests, in response to knowledge from the Japan Tourism Company.
Based on the Japan Nationwide Tourism Group in 2017, Three out of Four international vacationers got here from different components of East Asia, particularly South Korea, China, Taiwan and Hong Kong.
The Japanese authorities hopes to obtain 40 million international vacationers yearly by 2020.
Main vacationer locations
- Nikkō – Shrines and Temples of Nikkō (WHS), Kegon Falls, Lake Chūzenji, Cedar Avenue of Nikko
- Tomioka Silk Mill (WHS)
- Kinugawa Onsen – Edo Wonderland Nikko Edomura, Tobu World Sq.
- Utsunomiya – Oya stone museum, Utsunomiya Futarayama Shrine
- Ashikaga, Tochigi – Ashikaga Gakkō, Ashikaga Flower Park
- Tokyo – Imperial Palace, Asakusa, Akihabara, Ginza, Harajuku/Omotesandō, Nakano Broadway, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Tsukiji Fish Market, Ueno Park
- Tokyo Disney Resort
- Kamakura – Tsurugaoka Hachiman-gū, Kōtoku-in, Kenchō-ji, Engaku-ji, Meigetsu-in, Hase-dera
- Kusatsu Onsen
- Hakone Onsen
- Mount Fuji
- Japanese Alps – Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route(Mount Tate), Hida Mountains, Kiso Mountains, Akaishi Mountains
- Kurobe Gorge Railway
- Shiga Kōgen
- Matsumoto – Matsumoto Fort, Mount Hotaka, Kamikōchi
- Shirakawa-gō and Gokayama (WHS)
- Takayama – Sanmachi Conventional Road, Ōshinmachi Conventional Road, Higashiyama Temple Space
- Kanazawa – Kenroku-en Backyard, Kanazawa Fort, Higashi Geisha District, Nagamachi Samurai District
- Sakai – Tōjinbō, Maruoka Fort
- Nagoya – Nagoya Fort, Atsuta Shrine, Sakae, Nagoya Station (Meieki), Ōsu Kannon temple
- Kyoto – Kinkaku-ji, Ginkaku-ji, Kiyomizu-dera, Ryōan-ji, Sanjūsangen-dō, and many others., they’re components of Historic Monuments of Historic Kyoto (WHS)
- Uji – Byōdō-in and Ujigami Shrine (WHS), Relation of The Story of Genji
- Ōtsu – Lake Biwa, Hiyoshi Taisha, Sakamoto Temple District, Mount Hiei, Enryaku-ji (WHS)
- Ōmihachiman – Conventional Riverside District
- Nara – Tōdai-ji, Tōshōdai-ji, Kōfuku-ji, Yakushi-ji, Heijō Palace, Kasuga-taisha and Nara Park, and many others. They’re components of the Historic Monuments of Historic Nara (WHS).
- Ikaruga – Hōryū-ji and Hōki-ji are Buddhist Monuments within the Hōryū-ji Space (WHS).
- Yoshino (Mount Yoshino) – Kimpusen-ji, Yoshimizu Shrine, Yoshino Mikumari Shrine, and many others. They’re components of the Sacred Websites and Pilgrimage Routes within the Kii Mountain Vary (WHS).
- Shingū – Kumano Hayatama Taisha and Kumano River (WHS)
- Nachikatsuura – Nachi Falls, Kumano Kodō, and many others., they’re components of Sacred Websites and Pilgrimage Routes within the Kii Mountain Vary (WHS)
- Mount Kōya – Kongōbu-ji (WHS)
- Osaka – Osaka Fort, Umeda, Namba, Dōtonbori, Shinsekai, Shitennō-ji, Common Studios Japan, Rinku City, Kamagasaki
- Himeji – Engyō-ji, Koko-en Backyard, and Himeji Fort (WHS)
- Kobe – Port of Kobe, Rokkō Mountains, Kitano-chō, Arima Onsen, Kobe Luminarie
- San’in Kaigan Geopark – Toyooka, Izushi, Kinosaki Onsen, Yumura Onsen
- Hiroshima Prefecture – Atomic Bomb Dome (WHS), Itsukushima Shrine (WHS), Onomichi, Tomonoura
- Okayama Prefecture – Kurashiki, Kōrakuen Backyard, Okayama Fort
- Tottori Prefecture – Tottori Sand Dunes, Mount Daisen, Mount Hyōno, San’in Kaigan Geopark
- Shimane Prefecture – Iwami Ginzan Silver Mine (WHS), Izumo-taisha, Matsue Fort, Oki Islands, Tsuwano
- Yamaguchi Prefecture – Hagi
Kyushu and Okinawa
- Fukuoka Prefecture – Mojiko Retro City, Kokura Fort, Dazaifu Tenman-gū, Stays of Dazaifu (authorities)
- Ōita Prefecture – Many varieties of scorching springs in Beppu, Ōita or Yufuin, Ōita, Usa jingū, stone bridges, small stonehenge on the highest of Komekamiyama (mountain), Hey Kitty Harmonyland
- Nagasaki Prefecture – Ōura Church, Higashi-Yamate, Minami-Yamate, Huis Ten Bosch (theme park), Hidden Christian Websites (WHS)
- Kagoshima Prefecture – Yakushima (WHS), Sakurajima, Amami Ōshima
- Miyazaki Prefecture – Kirishima-Yaku Nationwide Park, Takachiho, Outdated Exculibur on the highest of Takachiho-kyo mountain, Nichinan, Miyazaki, Chambered barrows of Saitobaru kofungun, Heiwadai Park
- Kumamoto Prefecture – Kumamoto Fort, Mount Aso
- Saga Prefecture – Pre-400 BC Yayoi archaeological website in Yoshinogari website
- Okinawa Prefecture – Shuri Fort, Nakagusuku Fort, Nakijin Fort and many others. They’re components of the Gusuku Websites and Associated Properties of the Kingdom of Ryukyu. (WHS), Ishigaki Island, Miyako Island, Iriomote Island, Conventional Ryukyuan Homes in Taketomi Island
Tourism after the Fukushima catastrophe
After the triple melt-down of the nuclear reactors in Fukushima, the variety of international guests declined for months. In September 2011 some 539,000 international individuals visited Japan, this was 25 p.c down in contrast with the identical month in 2010. This decline was largely attributed to the Fukushima nuclear accident and the stronger yen made a go to to Japan dearer.
To spice up tourism the Japanese Tourism Company introduced in October 2011 a plan to present 10,000 round-trip air tickets to Japan to encourage guests to return. In 2012 free tickets can be provided if the winners would write on-line about their experiences in Japan. In addition they would want to reply some questions on how they felt whereas visiting Japan after the earthquake and the way the curiosity in tourism in Japan may very well be renewed. About US$15 million can be spent on this program.
On December 26, 2011, The Japan Tourism Company reported on their website that the “Fly to Japan! Mission”, which might have given out 10,000 round-trip tickets to Japan, was not permitted by the federal government for fiscal yr 2012.
- “Tourism Statistics”. JTB Tourism Analysis & Consulting Co.
- “The Journey & Tourism Competitiveness Report 2017” (PDF). World Financial Discussion board. April 2017.
- Leheny, David Richard. The Guidelines of Play: Nationwide Id and the Shaping of Japanese Leisure. Cornell College Press. p. 59. ISBN 0-8014-4091-2.
- “Worldwide tourism, variety of arrivals – United States, Japan, Germany, United Kingdom, France, Italy, Canada | Knowledge”. knowledge.worldbank.org. Retrieved March 16, 2020.
- Silver, Nate (August 18, 2014). “The International locations The place You are Surrounded By Vacationers”. FiveThirtyEight. Retrieved March 16, 2020.
- “2017年推計値” (PDF). Japan Nationwide Tourism Group. Archived from the unique (PDF) on Might 8, 2016.
- “Worldwide tourism, receipts (present US$) | Knowledge”. knowledge.worldbank.org. Retrieved March 17, 2020.
- “GDP (present US$) | Knowledge”. knowledge.worldbank.org. Retrieved March 17, 2020.
- Dickie, Mure (January 26, 2011). “Vacationers flock to Japan regardless of China spat”. Monetary Instances. Retrieved March 16, 2012.
- “Tokyu Group in steadfast pursuit of Chinese language vacationers”. TTGmice. Retrieved April 18, 2013.
- “Japan Tourism Company goals to attract extra Western vacationers amid increase in Asian guests”. Japan Nationwide Tourism Group. February 6, 2018. Archived from the unique on January 7, 2019.
- Bhattacharjya, Samhati (Might 17, 2016). “Japan to supply 10-year multi-entry visas for Chinese language as a part of tourism push”. Worldwide Enterprise Instances. Retrieved Might 17, 2016.
- “Abroad vacationers are altering the face of Japan”. Nikkei Asian Evaluation.
- NHK-world (October 21, 2011) Japan to present away air tickets to 10,000 guests Archived October 23, 2011, on the Wayback Machine
- JAIF (October 22, 2011)Earthquake report 242: Japan to present away air tickets to 10,000 guests[permanent dead link]
- ““Fly to Japan! Mission”(10,000 FREE FLIGHTS TO FOREIGNERS) | Japan Tourism Company”. Japan Tourism Company. December 26, 2011. Retrieved March 16, 2012.
|Wikivoyage has a journey information for Japan.|