Salkantay Path, a distant trekking route in the identical Andean area because the Inca Path, provides vacationers spectacular surroundings. Trekkers move hovering mountains, picturesque villages, lakes, and plush jungle. Whereas Inca Path excursions are sometimes booked far prematurely, Salkantay provides one other (extra reasonably priced) solution to attain Machu Picchu.
Hike the Salkantay Path to the Machu Picchu UNESCO World Heritage Web site, and also you’ll journey via the Cordillera de Vilcabamba mountain vary having fun with unbelievable views, stopping at indigenous villages, and making your manner via tropical valleys filled with rivers and lakes. You’ll even have an opportunity to relaxation weary muscle tissues within the thermal sizzling springs at Aguas Calientes.
Issues to Know Earlier than You Go
- Many guided excursions of the Salkantay Path embrace practice tickets again to Cusco, floor transportation, tenting and lodge lodging, meals, and guides. Verify particular person excursions for exact preparations.
- Some actions and companies—such lodge upgrades, facet excursions, sizzling springs, and using mountain bikes—is probably not lined by your tour payment.
- Those that use wheelchairs or have a troublesome time strolling lengthy distances are prohibited from excursions.
- The Salkantay Path travels via excessive altitudes. Vacationers ought to arrive a number of days earlier than making an attempt the hike in order that they’ve time to regulate to the environment and may drink plenty of water always.
- Excursions function in all climate situations, and there could also be excessive temperature drops between day and night time. Make sure that to pack appropriately and produce sweaters, jackets, and a rain poncho.
Tips on how to Get There
The Salkantay Path is in the identical area because the Inca Path, on the way in which to the Machu Picchu UNESCO World Heritage Web site. Most excursions start in Cusco.
When to Get There
Open all 12 months spherical, the Salkantay Path is a superb different to the normal Inca Path, particularly throughout excessive season (June–August), when permits for the extra fashionable path promote out rapidly, and in February, when the Inca Path is closed. Wet season is mostly from January–April.
All treks are difficult, and it’s necessary to concentrate on your bodily health and to find out how bodily demanding the excursions are earlier than you e-book your journey. The Salkantay Path reaches increased altitudes than the Inca Path—15,215 ft (4,637 kilometers) in comparison with 13,800 ft (4,206 kilometers)—and requires extra preparation in addition to hotter clothes to guard in opposition to colder nighttime temperatures.