‘Clearly it was spreading to different suburbs as nicely’: Dan Andrews’ dangerous ‘postcode lockdown’ is slammed by locals after a whole bunch of recent coronavirus instances are reported
- Ten postcodes had been locked down earlier than all of Melbourne metropolis on Wednesday
- Mom Daniela Mezinec says metropolis ought to have been locked down weeks in the past
- Victoria recorded 134 new instances of COVID-19 on Wednesday and 191 on Tuesday
- Premier Daniel Andrews stated on-the-spot fines of as much as $1,652 can be issued
A single mum going through one other six weeks confined to her dwelling with two younger youngsters says delays in locking down Melbourne has extended the coronavirus.
Ten postcodes in Melbourne had been initially locked down earlier than the entire metropolis entered part three restrictions at midnight on Wednesday after recording a daunting leap in COVID-19 instances.
Daniela Mezinec, a college counsellor from Glenroy within the metropolis’s north believes the city-wide lockdown got here too late.
Daniela Mezinec, (centre with youngsters Leo and Mia) a college counsellor from Glenroy within the metropolis’s north believes the town broad lockdown got here too late
Well being care staff line up exterior North Melbourne Public Housing Towers on Wednesday
‘Clearly it was spreading in different suburbs as nicely and had we acted and closed down all of Melbourne, Victoria, maybe just a few weeks in the past after we noticed the numbers rising once more we would have been in a special place now,’ she informed the Right this moment Present.
Ms Mezinec stated she was feeling anxious in regards to the subsequent lockdown as her relations had been interstate and would not have the ability to assist her take care of her two youngsters.
Ms Mezinec stated there was a way of solidarity through the first nation-wide lockdown however now Melbourne was being remoted from the remainder of the nation.
‘Now it is form of like an us versus them mentality, particularly with the suburbs that had been locked down initially. We even felt stigmatised in our personal suburbs and state. It is onerous,’ she stated.
‘We do really feel like, you realize, we are the naughty state, we are the Victorians that did one thing flawed, and to be sincere with you, I do not assume that is the case.’
The mother-of-two has since created a Fb assist group to assist join these going through lockdown in Melbourne.
Bourke Avenue Mall in Melbourne is seen empty after the town went into lockdown at midnight on Wednesday
Premier Daniel Andrews has warned the six week lockdown could also be prolonged if the outbreak is not contained
Police patrol the streets of Melbourne on Thursday after metropolis entered stage three restrictions
Victoria recorded 134 new instances of COVID-19 on Wednesday, its second-highest single-day whole because the pandemic started after a document 191 infections on Tuesday.
Greater than 5 million individuals in Melbourne’s metropolitan and Mitchell Shire areas at the moment are underneath a strict stay-at-home coverage.
CORONAVIRUS CASES IN AUSTRALIA: 27,244
New South Wales: 4,273
Western Australia: 692
South Australia: 473
Australian Capital Territory: 113
Northern Territory: 33
TOTAL CASES: 27,244
ESTIMATED ACTIVE CASES: 269
Up to date: 5.31 PM, 11 October, 2020
Supply: Australian Authorities Division of Well being
Residents can solely go away for meals and provides, obtain or present care, train, and research or work.
Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews stated on-the-spot fines of as much as $1,652 can be handed out to individuals caught breaching lockdown guidelines, whereas companies may very well be fined $9,913.
Police have executed 92,215 random checks since March to make sure individuals had been at dwelling and companies had been abiding by the principles.
Mr Andrews warned the town’s onerous lockdown may lengthen past six weeks if the state’s horror second wave of coronavirus is not introduced underneath management.
‘The recommendation from our chief well being officer, that six weeks will give us the time we have to get management of this virus once more, to see some stability after which to drive down the case numbers,’ he stated on The Challenge on Wednesday night time,.
‘We will’t rule out that it might be longer, however that’s the recommendation of the Chief Well being Officer, after loads of thought, loads of analysing of that information, we couldn’t go on as we had been.
‘We would have liked to take this painful and troublesome step and 6 weeks is the time we’d like.’
Victorians are banned from coming into New South Wales and Queensland.
The normally in style Degraves Avenue is seen empty within the wake of the second lockdown