District of Malaysia
Langkawi, formally referred to as Langkawi, the Jewel of Kedah (Malay: Langkawi Permata Kedah), is a district and an archipelago of 99 islands (plus 5 small islands seen solely at low tide) within the Malacca Strait. some 30 km off the coast of northwestern Malaysia. The islands are part of the state of Kedah, which is adjoining to the Thai border. On 15 July 2008, Sultan Abdul Halim of Kedah consented to its change of identify to Langkawi Permata Kedah at the side of his golden jubilee celebration. By far the most important of the islands is the eponymous Langkawi Island (Pulau Langkawi), with a inhabitants of some 64,792; the one different inhabited island is close by Tuba Island.
Langkawi is an administrative district, with the city of Kuah as its largest city. Pentai Cenang is the most well-liked seaside and vacationer space in Langkawi, with tens of 1000’s of holiday makers every year.
Langkawi is a duty-free island.
The identify Langkawi is believed to have existed by the early 15th century, though within the 16th century the island of Langkawi was additionally marked on maps variously as Langa, Langka, Lansura, and Langapura.
There are lots of strategies for the origin of the identify of Langkawi. In keeping with one interpretation, Langkawi means island of the reddish-brown eagle, a Brahminy kite in colloquial Malay. The Malay phrase for eagle is helang (shortened to lang), and kawi is a purple stone used as a chalk to mark items. This interpretation was used to create the landmark sculpture of an eagle because the image of Langkawi at Dataran Helang (Eagle Sq.) in Kuah.
Some believed that Langkawi is identical as, or associated to, the Lanka or Langkapuri talked about in Indian sources. This historic identify Lanka (or Lankapura and Lankapuri) is present in Indian literature from an early interval (named in Ramayana as the town of the king Ravana), though the identification of the unique Lanka just isn’t sure.Puri or puram in Sanskrit means a city or metropolis. The identify Langkawi can also be considered associated to Langkasuka, an previous kingdom believed to have hyperlinks with Kedah. Some additionally thought that Langkawi means “many lovely islands”, langka being a Sanskrit phrase that means “lovely” whereas wi means “many”.
In 2008, the then-sultan of Kedah, Abdul Halim Mu’adzam Shah, conferred the title of Langkawi Permata Kedah (that means ‘Langkawi, the Jewel of Kedah’) upon the island as a part of his golden jubilee as an affirmation of Kedah’s possession over the island.
Langkawi had lengthy been on the periphery of, however intently related to, the area of the Kedah Sultanate. Legend tells of a terrific snake ular besar, the custodian of the Langkawi Islands, to which a brand new king of Kedah should sacrifice a virgin daughter at any time when he ascended the throne, or when a battle was declared with one other state.
The island of Langkawi was recorded in historical past by varied vacationers to the area. It was known as Lóngyápútí (龍牙菩提) within the 14th century by the Yuan dynasty traveler Wang Dayuan, and when the Ming dynasty admiral Zheng He visited the area, the island was marked as 龍牙交椅, Lóngyájiāoyǐ, on his map. Within the 15th century, it was recognized to the Acehnese as Pulau Lada ‘Pepper Island’. In 1691, the French common Augustin de Beaulieu recorded going to the island of “Lancahui” (Langkawi) to purchase pepper, and de Beaulieu was required to acquire a license from Kedah’s inheritor obvious then in Perlis earlier than the penghulu or chief of Langkawi would promote pepper to him.
Langkawi was traditionally dwelling to seafarers, such because the orang laut or sea folks initially from the southern a part of the Malay Peninsula, in addition to pirates and fishermen. It had been considered cursed for a few centuries. In keeping with native legend, within the late 18th century, a girl named Mahsuri was wrongfully accused of adultery and put to dying, and she or he positioned a curse on the island that will final for seven generations. Not lengthy after Mahsuri’s dying, in 1821, the Siamese military invaded Kedah and attacked Langkawi. Within the first assault, the locals burned down the granary at Padang Matsirat to starve the Siamese military. The Siamese however captured the island in Might 1822, killed its leaders, and took most of the islanders as slaves, whereas others fled. Earlier than the Siamese invasion, there was an estimated island inhabitants of three,000–5,000, and solely a small proportion was left after the invasion.
The island was recaptured from the Siamese in 1837. In 1840–1841, the Sultan of Kedah, who went into exile after the Siamese assaults, was allowed to return by the Siamese, and the inhabitants of Langkawi islands recovered afterwards primarily attributable to settlement of immigrants from Sumatra. Nonetheless, the Orang Laut who fled after the Siamese assaults didn’t return. In 1909, the islands got here beneath British rule following the Anglo-Siamese Treaty of 1909. The center of the channel between Tarutao Nationwide Park and Langkawi would develop into the Siamese border, and Tarutao could be a part of Siam whereas the Langkawi islands to the south would come beneath British rule. In the course of the World Battle II, Siam took management briefly as British Malaya fell to the Japanese.
Langkawi had been a haven for pirates who troubled the northern a part of the Strait of Malacca. In a collection of operations, between December 1945 and March 1946, the British cleared the pirates’ land bases on Langkawi and Tarutao. The British continued to rule till Malaya gained its independence in 1957.
Langkawi remained a quiet backwater till 1986, when Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad remodeled it into a significant vacationer resort, serving to to plan most of the islands buildings himself. Mahsuri’s seven technology curse was stated to have lifted as a seventh technology descendant of Mahsuri, then dwelling in Phuket Province, was born. The island quickly grew as a vacationer vacation spot, and by 2012, it acquired over three million vacationers a 12 months.
Langkawi, a cluster of 99 islands separated from mainland Malaysia by the Strait of Malacca, is a district of the state of Kedah in northern Malaysia and lies roughly 51 km west of Kedah. The full land mass of the islands is 47,848 hectares. The primary island is about 25 km from north to south and barely extra from east to west. The coastal areas include flat, alluvial plains punctuated with limestone ridges. Two-thirds of the island is dominated by forest-covered mountains, hills, and pure vegetation.
The island’s oldest geological formation, the Machinchang Formation, was the primary a part of Southeast Asia to rise from the seabed within the Cambrian greater than half a billion years in the past. The oldest a part of the formation is observable at Teluk Datai to the north-west of the island, the place the uncovered outcrop consists of primarily sandstone (quartzite) within the higher elements and shale and mudstone within the decrease elements of the sequence. One of the best publicity of Cambrian rocks (541 to 485 Ma) in Malaysia is the Machinchang Formation, composed of quartzose clastic rock formations, in Langkawi; the opposite recognized instance, the Jerai Formation, emerges close to the west coast of Kedah on the mainland (peninsula). Geologically, all these rocks are within the Western Belt of peninsular Malaysia, which is considered a part of the Shan–Thai Terrane.
Langkawi receives greater than 2,400 mm (94 in) of rain yearly. Langkawi incorporates a Tropical monsoon local weather (Köppen local weather classification (Am) ) Langkawi has a brief dry season from December till February. March to November is a protracted wet season. September is the wettest month, when it might probably obtain greater than 500 mm (20 in).
|Local weather knowledge for Pulau Langkawi|
|Document excessive °C (°F)||36.2 |
|Common excessive °C (°F)||32.9 |
|Each day imply °C (°F)||28.0 |
|Common low °C (°F)||24.4 |
|Document low °C (°F)||19.8 |
|Common precipitation mm (inches)||23.9 |
|Common precipitation days||3||5||10||15||18||17||19||19||21||23||16||8||174|
|Common relative humidity (%)||70||71||76||81||83||84||84||84||85||85||81||75||80|
|Supply: Malaysian Meteorological Division|
Langkawi District is split into 6 mukims, that are:
Solely 4 of the 99 islands are inhabited: Langkawi (Pulau Langkawi, the principle island), Tuba, Rebak and Dayang Bunting. The inhabitants is roughly 99,000, round 65,000 of them in Langkawi, of which 90% are Malays. The opposite ethnic teams consist primarily of Chinese language, Indians, and Thais.
Islam is practised primarily by ethnic Malays. Different main religions are Hinduism (primarily amongst Indians), Buddhism (primarily amongst Chinese language and Thai), and Christianity (principally Chinese language).
Commonplace Malay is the official language and is utilized in formal events. English is broadly spoken and understood by the locals. Most natives communicate a Langkawi variant of Kedah Malay, with minorities additionally talking Chinese language, Siamese, and varied Indian languages.
Federal Parliament and State Meeting Seats
Langkawi district representatives within the Federal Parliament of Malaysia
Record of Langkawi district representatives within the state legislative assemblies
An agro-based economic system of paddy and rubber cultivation and fisheries is being overtaken by a tourism-driven economic system.
The Northern Hall Financial Area (NCER) growth program is a Malaysia Authorities initiative to speed up financial progress within the north of Peninsular Malaysia – encompassing the states of Perlis, Kedah, Penang and the north of Perak. The goal for NCER is to attain elevated tourism receipts per customer from MYR1,890 (US$600) in 2005 to MYR3,034 (US$963) by 2012.
Annual vacationer expenditure is focused to extend from MYR9.Zero billion (US$2.86 billion) in 2005 to MYR21.Eight billion (US$6.9 billion) in 2012 and MYR64.5 billion (US$20.Four billion) in 2020.
On 1 June 2007, Langkawi Island was given a World Geopark standing by UNESCO. Three of its primary conservation areas in Langkawi Geopark are Machincang Cambrian Geoforest Park, Kilim Karst Geoforest Park, and Dayang Bunting Marble Geoforest park (Island of the Pregnant Maiden Lake). These three parks are the most well-liked tourism space inside Langkawi Geopark. In 2014, UNESCO issued a “yellow card” warning threatening the standing of the Geopark.
The Langkawi UNESCO World Geopark standing was due for renewal in 2015, of which upon thorough inspection by the appointed Geopark Inspectors, Langkawi was issued the Certificates of Membership dubbed the Inexperienced Card by Asia Pacific Geoparks Community, beneath the auspices of the World Geopark Community (GGN).
Vacationers can enter the island through ferry from Kuala Kedah, Kuala Perlis, and Penang. Or by home flight from Kuala Lumpur Worldwide Airport (KUL) through Malaysia Airways, AirAsia, Malindo Air, or Subang Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport (SZB) through Malindo Air and Fireflyz offering finances connection to the island. Worldwide connection is out there from Singapore through Tigerair and AirAsia, in addition to from Guangzhou through AirAsia.
Islands and seashores
There are two primary island areas: the Southern Islands, with a heavier vacationer inhabitants, and the islands to the northeast that are extra secluded with little vacationer site visitors. Langun Island has a fresh-water lake known as Pregnant Maiden Lake and has a Sand Spit Seaside on its south-facing orientation. Dendang Island subsequent to it varieties a bay utilized by Langkawi crusing yacht tour operators.
A number of the hottest seashores are Pantai Cenang, Pantai Tengah, Burau Bay, Pantai Kok, and Datai Bay. Pantai Cenang seaside has lengthy stretches of effective white sand. It has quite a few eating places and bars for night leisure, a number of internet hosting dwell music and for watching the solar set.[tone] The seaside is lined with tall coconut and casuarina bushes. Pantai Tengah is separated from Cenang by a small cape. It additionally faces the setting solar and has inns than bars, making it much less busy within the night.[original research?] Burau Bay, fringed by rocky outcrops, is visited by migratory birds. Pantai Kok quiet seaside has a backdrop of limestone hills. Datai Bay has a mixture of forests and sea, its white sandy seaside is backed by forest.
Cable automobile and Sky Bridge
The Langkawi Cable Automobile takes guests as much as the height of Gunung Mat Chinchang, the place the Langkawi Sky Bridge is situated. The Sky Bridge was closed in 2012 for upkeep and upgrading, however reopened in February 2015. An inclined elevate known as SkyGlide that will takes guests from the highest station to the Sky Bridge was accomplished in late 2015.
The beginning of cable automobile trip is situated within the Oriental Village the place there are a selection of sights, together with a 3-Dimensional artwork museum referred to as Artwork in Paradise.
The Kilim Karst Geoforest Park (The Kilim River)
The Kilim Karst Geoforest Park consists of three river estuaries that stretch from Kisap village roughly 10&km to Tanjung Rhu, and they’re all interconnected. They’re wealthy in wildlife with furry nosed sea otters, brown winged kingfishers, monitor lizards, and swimming macaque monkeys being frequent sights. There may be additionally a bat cave throughout the Geoforest Park. Limestone, inherently porous, varieties caves and there are a number of within the mangroves. One in every of Langkawi’s pure magnificence spots is the Pirate Lagoon simply exterior the river. Technically this can be a collapsed cave (hong) consisting of a cave entrance from the ocean rising right into a hidden lagoon with towering, limestone escarpments, and smaller caves.
With Langkawi surrounded by the ocean, there are numerous water-based actions to bask in. For those who love cruises, there are numerous cruises that may accommodate for people that love the morning solar or people that wish to have dinner on a yacht.
Snorkeling can also be a preferred exercise, with operators organising day by day excursions to the close by Payar Island (Malay: Pulau Payar).
Vacationers can even select to go for island hopping excursions with totally different choices:
- Gradual: Travelling and spending time on selective non-public islands / seashores
- Quick: Sitting on a speedboat for a fast spin across the varied islands obtainable in Langkawi
The Island of Langkawi doesn’t have public transportation, however the folks can nonetheless use taxis or hire a car (automobile, bicycle, motorcycle, scooter, and so forth.). All taxis have a normal fastened value system with the fare from one a part of the island to a different is at all times being the identical. In its place, trip hailing apps, resembling Seize, additionally function on the island.
The island of Langkawi could be reached by sea and air. The Langkawi Jetty Level connects the island to primary locations like Kuala Perlis, Kuala Kedah, Penang, and Tamalang. There’s additionally ferry service to Satun city and to Ko Lipe island in Thailand. From Langkawi, Malaysia, a ferry operates from Langkawi to Ko Lipe (and again) from October till June. The departure/arrival level in Langkawi is at Kuah Jetty, Langkawi and Telaga Harbour, Langkawi. The departure/arrival level in Ko Lipe is at Pattaya Seaside. As there isn’t any pier in Ko Lipe, transfers to the seaside are completed with native long-tail boats. The journey takes about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Langkawi Worldwide Airport is one in all seven worldwide airports in Malaysia and connects the island to Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Penang, and Subang. The primary island is well-served by quite a few roads.
- SMK Ayer Hangat
- SMK Kedawang
- SMK Kelibang
- SMK Langkawi Pulau Tuba
- SMK Mahsuri
- SMK Tunku Putra
- Kolej Vokasional Langkawi
- Maktab Mahmud Langkawi
- Maktab Rendah Sains Mara Langkawi(MRSM)
The tv and radio in Langkawi could be acquired from Gunung Raya and RTM Kuah.
- TV1 (Ch35; from Gunung Raya)
- TV2 (Ch39; from Gunung Raya)
- TV3 (Ch33; from Gunung Raya)
- Langkawi FM – FM 87.50 MHz (RTM Kuah), FM 104.80 MHz (Gunung Raya)
- Period FM – FM 90.70 MHz (Gunung Raya)
- Hitz FM – FM 92.40 MHz (Gunung Raya)
- MY FM – FM 100.10 MHz (Gunung Raya)
- Sinar FM – FM 100.90 MHz (Gunung Raya)
- THR Raaga – FM 101.90 MHz (Gunung Raya)
- Kedah FM – FM 105.70 MHz (Gunung Raya)
- Radio Thailand Satun FM 95.5MHz and 99.5MHz (Satun, Thailand)
- MCOT Satun FM 93.25MHz (Satun, Thailand)
Langkawi Craft and Cultural Complicated
Seaside monkey at Beras Basah Island
Sundown at Cenang Island on Langkawi
Pulau Tepor from Cenang Seaside
Twin cities – Sister cities
Langkawi at the moment has two sister cities:
- primuscoreadmin (13 November 2015). “Background”.
- “Inhabitants Distribution and Primary Demographic Traits, 2010” (PDF). Division of Statistics, Malaysia. Archived from the unique (PDF) on 22 Might 2014. Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- “TABURAN PENDUDUK MENGIKUT PBT & MUKIM 2010”. Division of Statistics, Malaysia. Retrieved 15 December 2017.
- “Pantai Cenang – The whole lot you Have to Know About Pantai Cenang”. langkawi-info.com. Retrieved Three June 2019.
- “Buying in Langkawi”. ABC Langkawi. Archived from the unique on 16 July 2012. Retrieved 11 August 2009.
- Mohamed Zahir Haji Ismail (2000). The Legends of Langkawi. Utusan Publications & Distributors. ISBN 9789676110275.
- Holly Hughes; Sylvie Murphy; Alexis Lipsitz Flippin; Julie Duchaine (14 January 2010). Frommer’s 500 Extraordinary Islands. John Wiley & Sons. p. 237. ISBN 978-0-470-59518-3. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- Charles de Ledesma; Mark Lewis; Pauline Savage (2006). the Tough Information to Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei (fifth ed.). Tough Guides. p. 218. ISBN 978-1-84353-687-1.
- “Langkawi Eagle Sq. – Dataran Lang”. Langkawi Perception.
- Maziar Mozaffari Falarti (2012). Malay Kingship in Kedah: Faith, Commerce, and Society. Lexington Books. p. 94. ISBN 978-0-7391-6842-4.
- Braddell, Roland (December 1937). “An Introduction to the Research of Historical Occasions within the Malay Peninsula and the Straits of Malacca”. Journal of the Malayan Department of the Royal Asiatic Society. 15 (3 (129)): 64–126. JSTOR 41559897.
- Mohamed Zahir Haji Ismail (2000). The Legends of Langkawi. Utusan Publications & Distributors. ISBN 9789676110275.
- Majid, Embun (16 July 2008). “It is Langkawi Permata Kedah now”. The Star On-line. Archived from the unique on 20 July 2008. Retrieved 20 July 2008.
- Maziar Mozaffari Falarti (2012). Malay Kingship in Kedah: Faith, Commerce, and Society. Lexington Books. p. 55. ISBN 978-0-7391-6842-4.
- Maziar Mozaffari Falarti (2012). Malay Kingship in Kedah: Faith, Commerce, and Society. Lexington Books. p. 99. ISBN 978-0-7391-6842-4.
- Ooi Giok Ling; Rahil Ismail; Brian J Shaw, eds. (2009). Southeast Asian Tradition and Heritage in a Globalising World: Diverging Identities in a Dynamic Area. Ashgate Publishing Firm. p. 50. ISBN 978-0-7546-7261-6.
- Mohamed Zahir Haji Ismail (2000). The Legends of Langkawi. Utusan Publications & Distributors. pp. 132–133. ISBN 9789676110275.
- Maziar Mozaffari Falarti (2012). Malay Kingship in Kedah: Faith, Commerce, and Society. Lexington Books. p. 119. ISBN 978-0-7391-6842-4.
- Maziar Mozaffari Falarti (2012). Malay Kingship in Kedah: Faith, Commerce, and Society. Lexington Books. p. 121. ISBN 978-0-7391-6842-4.
- Stefan Eklöf (2006). Pirates in Paradise: A Fashionable Historical past of Southeast Asia’s Maritime Marauders. Nordic Institute of Asian Research. p. 51. ISBN 978-87-91114-37-3.
- Anthony Spaeth (9 December 1996). “Sure for Glory”. Time. Archived from the unique on 17 March 2009. Retrieved 13 September 2011.
- “Descendants of the White-Blooded Girl”. Phuket Heritage.
- “Langkawi targets 4m vacationers by year-end”. Free Malaysia At this time. 20 June 2013.
- “Vacationer Statistics”. Langkawi Improvement Authority. Archived from the unique on 19 April 2015.
- “Geography”. Langkawi On-line. Archived from the unique on 23 April 2015.
- “Langkawi Historical past”. 7 July 2009.
- C.P. Lee / Palaeoworld 15 (2006) 242–255, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.palwor.2006.10.007
- “Local weather of Vacationer Locations in Malaysia – Pulau Langkawi (Redang Langkawi)”. Met Workplace. Archived from the unique on 20 August 2008. Retrieved 10 Might 2019.
- “Normal Data”. MyLangkawi.com.
- “Taburan Penduduk Dan Ciri-Ciri Asas Demografi 2010” (PDF). Division of Statistics, Malaysia. p. 63. Archived from the unique (PDF) on 28 September 2011.
-  Archived 21 November 2008 on the Wayback Machine
- “Langkawi given geopark standing”. The Star On-line. Eight June 2007. Archived from the unique on 9 September 2007. Retrieved 24 December 2007.
- “Langkawi dangers shedding Geopark standing after Unesco ‘Yellow Card‘“. Themalaysianinsider.com. Archived from the unique on 28 November 2014. Retrieved 18 December 2014.
- “The Fast Information to Issues to do in Langkawi – Household Journey Weblog – Journey with Youngsters”. 29 March 2015. Retrieved 7 August 2016.
- “A Handy Means To Go to SkyBridge”. Archived from the unique on 6 January 2016.
- “Tun Mahathir officiates Langkawi 3D artwork museum”. The Solar Each day. 7 February 2015.
- As soon as in a Lifetime Journey. “Langkawi’s Kilim Geoforest Park Tour”.
- As soon as in a Lifetime Journey. “Casa Del Mar Langkawi: A Residence by the Sea”.
- “Day Cruise, Sundown Cruise, Personal Cruise”. Tropical Charters. Retrieved 12 January 2016.
- “Langkawi: Getting there and away”. Travelfish.
- “KohLipe.my”. Koh Lipe Tour Packages, Lodge, Ferry & Velocity boat, Switch & Snorkeling Journey. Retrieved Four October 2017.
- “Senior KFZO Advisor, Malaysian Ambassador Meet in Kish”. Kish Airways. Four January 2015. Archived from the unique on 21 December 2015. Retrieved 21 December 2015.
|Wikivoyage has a journey information for Langkawi.|