Journey company and metasearch engine owned and operated by Reserving Holdings
Kayak.com, typically styled as KAYAK, is a journey company and metasearch engine owned and operated by Reserving Holdings. The corporate additionally runs journey serps checkfelix, Mundi, Resorts Mixed, and swoodoo.
Kayak’s web site and cell apps are at the moment out there in over 18 languages and greater than 30 nations, together with the USA, the UK, India, China, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Russia,Switzerland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, the Netherlands, Australia, Eire, Mexico, New Zealand, Belgium, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, and Singapore.
Kayak was based in January 2004 by Steve Hafner and Paul M. English. Earlier than Kayak, Steve Hafner, Kayak’s present CEO, helped discovered Orbitz in November 1999 and led its enterprise growth, promoting gross sales, advertising, and product advertising actions.
The corporate was initially named Journey Search Firm, Inc. and the identify was modified to Kayak Software program Company in August 2004.
The web site launched in February 2005.
In December 2007, Kayak raised $196 million in a brand new spherical of financing from a gaggle of buyers together with Common Catalyst, Sequoia Capital, Accel Companions, and Oak Funding Companions. Utilizing that funding, Kayak acquired SideStep, one other on-line journey company.
On March 5, 2010, Kayak offered sure property associated to TravelPost.
In Might 2010, Kayak acquired German journey search platform Swoodoo.
In January 2011, Kayak shut down SideStep and redirected SideStep visitors to Kayak.com.
In March 2011, Kayak started offering leads to the U.S. model of Bing from a number of cities, airports and airways in Bing’s journey search part.
In April 2011, Kayak acquired the entire excellent shares of JaBo Vertrieb-und Entwicklung GmbH, or JaBo Software program, operator Checkfelix, a journey search engine in Austria.
On July 20, 2012, Kayak grew to become a public firm by way of an preliminary public providing. On its first day of buying and selling, Kayak opened up at $26 per share and closed at $33.18 per share.
On Might 21, 2013, Reserving Holdings, then often called Priceline.com, acquired the corporate for $2.1 billion.
On September 25, 2013, it was introduced that Connecticut would help Kayak with a $2.5 million mortgage to assist facilitate their transfer to the Harbor Level district of Stamford.
In August 2017, the corporate acquired Mundi.
In July 2018, Kayak assumed management of Resorts Mixed, which was acquired by mum or dad Reserving Holdings.
In September 2018, the corporate launched a characteristic to assist vacationers decide if their baggage matches within the overhead bin of planes.
In 2013, Journey + Leisure named Kayak’s app in its checklist of the Greatest Apps for Enterprise Vacationers in addition to its checklist for the Greatest Apps and Web sites for Vacationers.
Time named Kayak to its checklist of the 50 Greatest Web sites of 2009.
Mashable included Kayak in first place for the web site’s checklist, “10 Price range Airfare Instruments Each Traveler Ought to Know in 2012”.
Kayak received the next Webby Awards:
- 2008: Individuals’s Voice award within the journey web site class
- 2009: The Webby Award within the journey web site class
- 2011: The Individuals’s Voice award within the cell journey app class in 2011
- 2012: Three awards: each the Webby and Individuals’s Selection awards within the journey web site class and the Individuals’s Voice award within the cell journey app class.
- 2013: Nominee for Greatest Journey Cellular & App for Handheld Gadgets
- 2014: each the Individuals’s Voice and Webby Award within the Journey class for Tablets.
- 2015, Kayak Cellular received once more the Individuals’s Voice Award within the Journey class.
The World Journey Awards introduced Kayak with the World’s Main Flight Comparability Web site award in 2013 and the World’s Main Journey Search Web site award in 2011.
All-American Muslim promoting
In December 2011 Kayak introduced that it will not renew a contract to promote on the TLC actuality tv present All-American Muslim. The choice adopted a marketing campaign by the Florida Household Affiliation, a one-man fundamentalist group targeted on “defending American values”. In an announcement posted to the Kayak web site, Kayak chief advertising officer Robert Birge wrote that TLC “was not upfront with us concerning the nature of the present”.
- King, Danny (April 3, 2013). “Kayak turns 2012 revenue”. Journey Weekly.
- “Kayak.com Website overview”. Alexa Web.
- “Kayak.com Launches Client On-line Journey Website; Firm Proclaims New Content material, Options, and Distribution Accomplice; Plus, Kayak.com to Award Winter Getaways for Registered Customers” (Press launch). Enterprise Wire. February 7, 2005.
- “Kayak.com: Personal Firm Overview”. Bloomberg L.P.
- “Checkfelix”. TechCrunch.
- Perez, Sarah (July 20, 2012). “Kayak Is Headed To Russia”. TechCrunch.
- “Kayak CrunchBase Profile”. CrunchBase. TechCrunch. October 23, 2011.
- Timmins, Beth; Cox, Josie (April 26, 2017). “A View from the High: Steve Hafner, founding father of journey comparability website Kayak”. The Impartial.
- “KAYAK SOFTWARE CORPORATION 2012 Kind 10-Okay Annual Report”. U.S. Securities and Trade Fee.
- Arrington, Michael (December 20, 2007). “Breaking: Kayak Raises $196 Million, Buys Rival SideStep”. TechCrunch.
- “KAYAK.COM MERGES WITH SIDESTEP.COM; SECURES $196M IN FINANCING ROUND” (Press launch). December 21, 2007.
- Schaal, Dennis (February 11, 2011). “Kayak has stake in TravelPost rollout”. Phocuswire.
- Zinnagl, Lukas (Might 6, 2010). “Kayak swoops on German journey search engine Swoodoo [Updated]”. TechCrunch.
- “KAYAK acquires swoodoo, Germany’s main journey search website”. Might 6, 2010.
- Rao, Leena (Might 27, 2011). “in-front-of-its-ipo-kayak-reports-growth-in-revenue-but-income-down”. TechCrunch.
- Duryee, Tricia (March 4, 2011). “Bing Picks Kayak for Journey Search Partnership”. All Issues D.
- Taylor, Colleen (Might 27, 2011). “Poised for IPO, Kayak Reviews Gross sales Increase and World Development”. Gigaom.
- Might, Kevin (April 5, 2011). “Kayak buys Austrian journey search engine Checkfelix”. Phocuswire.
- Empson, Rip (July 20, 2012). “That’ll Fly: Kayak Closes IPO Day With Shares Up Practically 30% And Market Cap Over $1.2B”. Techcrunch.
- “PCLN Kind 10-Q”. U.S. Securities and Trade Fee.
- “Gov. Malloy: Kayak to Develop and Create 50 Jobs in Stamford” (Press launch). Connecticut. September 25, 2013.
- O’Neill, Sean (August 4, 2017). “Kayak Acquires Property of Struggling Brazilian Metasearch Firm Mundi”. Skift.
- Schaal, Dennis (July 9, 2018). “Reserving Holdings Buys HotelsCombined as Kayak Expands Into Asia Pacific”. Skift.
- Perez, Sarah (September 18, 2018). “kayaks-new-ar-feature-will-tell-you-if-your-carry-on-bag-fits-the-overhead-bin”. TechCrunch.
- BROWN HUNT, KATRINA; SAMILJAN, TOM (October 14, 2013). “Greatest Apps for Enterprise Vacationers”.
- Fisher, Adam (August 24, 2009). “50 Greatest Web sites 2009”. Time.
- “10 Price range Airfare Instruments Each Traveler Ought to Know”. Mashable. July 26, 2012.
- “2008 Individuals’s Voice: KAYAK.COM”. Webby Award.
- “2009 Webby Award Winner: KAYAK.COM”. Webby Award.
- “KAYAK MOBILE FOR IPHONE”. Webby Award.
- “We Received Three Webby Awards – Because of You”. Kayak. Might 1, 2012.
- “2013 Nominee: KAYAK – MOBILE SITES & APPS”. Webby Award.
- “2014 Individuals’s Voice / Webby Award Winner: KAYAK Know-how Crew”. Webby Award.
- “2015 Individuals’s Voice: KAYAK – MOBILE SITES & APPS”. Webby Award.
- “Kayak”. World Journey Awards.
- Freedman, Samuel G. (December 16, 2011). “Waging a One-Man Conflict on American Muslims”. The New York Occasions.
- Diaz, Johnny (December 14, 2011). “Kayak will not renew advertisements on Muslim TV present”. The Boston Globe.
- ELLIOTT, STUART (December 14, 2011). “Kayak Defends Slicing Ties to ‘All-American Muslim‘“. The New York Occasions.