The founding father of (now liquidated) Air Italy needs to start out a brand new airline… Italian Airways! What might presumably go fallacious?
Trademark registered for Italian Airways
If one airline entrepreneur has his method, Italian Airways may very well be within the skies quickly sufficient. As reported by Corriere, a trademark was formally registered with the EU Mental Property Workplace on Could 28, 2020, after being requested a number of months earlier.
The method of registering the trademark solely price 1,050EUR, so on the floor this doesn’t like that massive of an funding but. Nevertheless, the person behind that is Giuseppe Gentile, who additionally based Air Italy again in 2005. This is a little more severe than some random individual registering a trademark for an airline.
Air Italy Airbus A330
For a little bit of backstory there:
- Gentile based Air Italy in 2005
- Then in 2011 Meridiana Fly merged with Air Italy, at which level the airline was merely branded as Meridiana
- Then in 2017 Qatar Airways bought a 49% stake within the airline, at which level it was as soon as once more branded as Air Italy
- Then in early 2020 the airline liquidated, after Qatar Airways tried to seriously change its enterprise mannequin, just for that to fail
Meridiana 767-300 (that was a surprisingly enjoyable flight)
What’s Italian Airways’ enterprise mannequin?
The idea for this airline was first thrown round again in 2018. At the moment the plan was as follows:
- Italian Airways would function just a few lengthy haul routes with Boeing 777s out of Milan’s Bergamo Airport
- The airline would have an settlement with Ryanair (or one other extremely low price provider) to supply feed for its lengthy haul flights
- The airline by no means acquired very far alongside on the time, and no air operator certificates was ever utilized for
The airline initially needed to depend on Ryanair for feed
Now the folks behind the airline have a brand new plan:
- The airline would nonetheless be based mostly out of Milan’s Bergamo Airport
- Moderately than working 777s to lengthy haul locations, the airline would as an alternative function brief haul flights with 100-seat Embraer jets
- The main target could be on serving Sardinia and different smaller airports within the area
- In June, Gentile stated in an interview that “investing in air transport as we speak could appear to be of venture, however I believe it’s a good alternative”
The airline would now function brief haul flights, competing with Alitalia
Italian Airways would primarily change into a brief haul Italian airline. Given how aggressive the panorama is, and particularly the fierce competitors from extremely low price carriers, one has to marvel how precisely this is smart.
Then once more, it appears to me like that will make extra sense than launching a protracted haul Italian airline, since low price lengthy haul carriers have a tough time surviving (and on condition that the airline would have relied on Ryanair for feed, I’ve to imagine the plan was to be low price).
In equity, the person behind Italian Airways is somebody who based an airline that ended up being efficiently merged on the time, so for all sensible functions he has had success in Italian aviation.
This wasn’t the founding father of the latest Air Italy, however quite the founding father of the Air Italy that merged with Meridiana and rebranded as that, earlier than as soon as once more being rebranded as Air Italy.
He has apparently been launching one other airline for a few years now, however the enterprise mannequin has shifted from working lengthy haul flights out of Milan with 777s, to working brief haul flights out of Milan with Embraer 190s…
Solely time will inform how this works out, although personally I wouldn’t be lining as much as be an investor right here, regardless of how a lot cash I had.