On-line journey company
Agoda.com is a web-based journey company and metasearch engine for accommodations, trip leases, flights, and airport switch. It’s owned by Agoda Firm Pte. Ltd., headquartered in Singapore, and a subsidiary of Reserving Holdings.
About half of Agoda’s bookings are made by way of its cellular apps. Agoda additionally provides iOS and Android apps for resort and property homeowners. The Seize cellular app permits customers to e book on Agoda.
Agoda was co-founded by Michael Kenny and Robert Rosenstein. Previous to Agoda, Michael Kenny began two different resort reserving web sites, PlanetHoliday.com and PrecisionReservations.com, however mixed firms into Agoda in 2003, launching Agoda.com in 2005.
In 2007, Agoda was acquired by Reserving Holdings (previously The Priceline Group).
Subsequently, Agoda ramped up operations by first launching iOS and Android cellular apps for reserving accommodations in 2011, and within the following years, by making a collection of acquisitions together with Israel-based startup, Qlika, and WooMoo, a Taipei-based startup centered on cellular app prototyping, and the WooMoo group joined Agoda in Bangkok to work on cellular app growth.
In Might 2016, Agoda opinions began appearing on Google search outcomes.
In 2017, Agoda started exploring non-hotel lodging to attempt to enchantment to millennials.
Agoda introduced administration adjustments in 2018, with Reserving Holdings saying that John Brown, the corporate’s chief working officer since 2014, would take the helm as Agoda’s new CEO. On this transfer, John Brown changed co-founder and former CEO Rob Rosenstein, who turned the Chairman of Agoda and a Strategic Advisor to Reserving Holdings. Along with this, Chief Product Officer Omri Morgenshtern, who joined the corporate as a part of the Qlika acquisition, was additionally named as the brand new COO.
In 2019, Agoda made a collection of bulletins that signalled international enlargement. In April of that 12 months, Agoda introduced an curiosity in pursuing higher enterprise emphasis in Israel and Europe, notably increasing its Tel Aviv-based information science group, enhance gross sales, and buy promising Israeli startups. Later that 12 months in September, Agoda started work with Digitas for data-driven content material advertising throughout numerous Asian markets. That October, Agoda added a function known as Combine and Save, which permits prospects to simply e book a special room for each night time of keep to get one of the best deal.
Agoda provides over 2.5 million properties globally, together with accommodations, long-term leases, and non-hotel lodging. Along with its lodging reserving platform, Agoda additionally has its personal flight product, permitting customers to e book airfares on its website with out having to depart the platform. This was launched in October 2019.
The Agoda VIP program allows collaborating properties to supply unique reductions to Agoda VIP standing prospects, categorized as VIPs as a result of they’ve made a minimal of 5 bookings on Agoda previously 24 months, and are much less inclined to cancel bookings. Lodge companions obtain particular VIP badges displayed on their property on each Agoda.com and on the Agoda cellular app.
Agoda provides a “Guide With out a Credit score Card” choice for accommodations in Indonesia and Philippines, and is the primary on-line digital journey reserving platform to allow Australians to e book and pay for his or her vacation lodging by way of interest-free instalments.
In South Korea, Agoda provides a Day Use product, which permits vacationers to e book rooms for just some hours.
Agoda’s B2B merchandise embody a white label platform as a B2B “turn-key” answer for companions to supply their prospects a web-based expertise that they’re used to, from customisable colors, URL to product choice.
Partnerships and Promoting
Agoda launched its largest built-in marketing campaign in July 2020 – “GoLocal” – which was geared toward stimulating home tourism throughout its Asia Pacific and international markets. This was rapidly adopted by “GoLocal Tonight” in Indonesia, a program providing further 30% low cost for same-day bookings on collaborating properties.
That very same 12 months, Agoda introduced partnerships with governments and Vacation spot Administration Organizations leveraging know-how, advertising experience, and attain to assist increase native economies by opening up tourism past conventional vacationer areas in Thailand and Japan. Agoda additionally introduced partnerships with AirAsia, in addition to blockchain-based journey reserving platform, Travala, itemizing over 600,000 properties on each these companion websites and making journey bookings payable in as much as 30 totally different cryptocurrencies on the latter.
In Might 2020, Agoda introduced the layoffs of 1,500 folks because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
In 2015, USA In the present day deemed Agoda’s reward program to be the worst out of the 4 reserving websites it reviewed.
Lodge housebreaking incident
In 2018, a buyer who booked by the web site had objects stolen from her resort room as a consequence of poor safety. Agoda gave her a goodwill refund, however didn’t take away the resort or enable her to submit a evaluate criticizing the resort for authorized causes. A safety advisor mentioned how this coverage reduces the variety of adverse opinions and that adverse opinions are generally diluted.
Refusal to supply refund
In 2017, Agoda initially refused to present a refund to a buyer that booked a non-existent resort. The incident gained traction on social media, and Agoda ultimately paid a refund following a fraud criticism filed with the Thai authorities.
Problem in leaving the platform
In 2019, Agoda was criticized for difficulties with prospects eradicating their properties from the web site. The shoppers cited customer support points.
Probe of resort websites by United Kingdom
In 2017, Agoda, amongst different resort websites, was topic to a probe by the Competitors and Markets Authority in the UK. The probe was associated to “considerations about hidden prices, stress promoting ways, deceptive low cost claims and the order by which outcomes seem on the location pages.” Agoda agreed to alter the way it operates in response to this probe.
Requests to drop unlawful accommodations
In 2017, the Tourism Minister of Thailand known as for Agoda amongst others to drop unlawful and unregistered accommodations. Agoda was the principle goal of criticism amongst these criticized, and its success is a part of what drove the Ministry of Tourism & Sports activities to create a aggressive resort reserving web site. In 2018, Agoda cooperated with the Taipei Metropolis Authorities’s request to take away unlawful and unregistered Taipei accommodations from its listings. Agoda confronted authorized motion from the Turkish Journey Companies Affiliation as a consequence of alleged unfair competitors in relation to the nation’s competitors legislation. It confronted a possible ban as a part of this lawsuit.
In November 2018, South Korea’s Truthful Commerce Fee issued a remedial order to Agoda on its refund insurance policies following its noncompliance with a ruling they made.
Textual content messages to prospects
In 2018, a category motion lawsuit within the U.S. accusing the corporate of spamming prospects by sending them textual content messages confirming reservations and selling the cellular app was dismissed, because the courts deemed them to be transactional messages, and thus no specific written consent was required.
Discount in resort income
Agoda’s Combine and Save function results in shorter stays, which will increase resort maintenance prices thereby lowering income.
- O’Neill, Sean (Might 9, 2018). “Agoda Names New CEO as It Goals to Go International”. Skift.
- “AxisRooms licensed as progressive provider companion 2019 by Agoda”. The Financial Occasions. June 12, 2019.
- Hamdi, Raini (April 23, 2019). “Seize Enters Journey Reserving With Resorts Now and Flights Subsequent”. Skift.
- KAVEEVIVITCHAI, NITHI (August 5, 2013). “Increase on the inn”. Bangkok Publish.
- “Priceline.com acquires asian on-line resort reservation service co Agoda”. Reuters. November 9, 2007.
- Schaal, Dennis (July 15, 2011). “Agoda debuts iPhone app with numerous Asia accommodations”. Phocuswire.
- “Agoda.com introduces new iPhone app”. Breaking Journey Information. July 14, 2011.
- “agoda.com launches Android app for simple cellular resort reserving”. Breaking Journey Information. September 10, 2011.
- Empson, Rip (March 11, 2014). “Priceline Buys Israel’s Qlika For $15-20M To Enhance International Enlargement With Rocket Science-Powered Advert Tech”. TechCrunch.
- Shu, Catherine (Might 24, 2016). “Taipei-based startup Woomoo acqui-hired by Priceline”. TechCrunch.
- Schwartz, Brian (Might 25, 2016). “Google Provides Lodge Critiques From Different Sources”. Search Engine Spherical Desk.
- “Agoda eyes non-hotel lodging choices to draw millennials”. The Jakarta Publish. Might 18, 2017.
- “Agoda names new CEO”. The Nation. July 4, 2019.
- Halon, Eytan (April 22, 2019). “Journey platform Agoda units sights on elevated Israeli footprint”. The Jerusalem Publish.
- Ng, Avelyn (September 17, 2019). “Agoda appoints Digitas for data-driven content material advertising throughout Eight Asian markets”. Advertising Interactive.
- Resco, Laura (October 2, 2019). “5 Causes Why Agoda’s Combine and Save Characteristic May Be Disastrous for Lodge Operations”. Lodge On-line (Press launch).
- “A brand new option to funds for holidays from Agoda”. Holidays With Children. 2019-12-12. Retrieved 2020-09-08.
- Hamdi, Raini (October 18, 2019). “Agoda Is Beginning to Provide Flights to Take On Rivals in Asia”. Skift.
- “Agoda introduces AgodaVIP program to spice up gross sales for resort companions”. International Journey Media. 2019-06-30. Retrieved 2020-09-08.
- Weekly, Ttr. “Agoda badges accommodations VIP companion | TTR Weekly”. Retrieved 2020-09-08.
- “Examine-in: No bank card? No drawback”. Manila Customary. Retrieved 2020-09-08.
- “Agoda Kenalkan Cara Pembayaran Baru”. investor.id (in Indonesian). Retrieved 2020-09-08.
- Inc, Digital Chosun. “아고다, 몇 시간만 이용할 수 있는 호텔 ‘대실’ 베타 서비스 시행”. digitalchosun.dizzo.com (in Korean). Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- “Agoda Enhances Traveler Expertise With New Capabilities and Providing For B2B2C Companions”. Bloomberg.com. 2019-11-11. Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- BMPlus (2020-07-01). “Agoda’s ‘GoLocal’ marketing campaign set to spice up home journey | BMPlus”. BusinessMirror. Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- Intan, Putu. “Cuti Bersama, Agoda Beri Diskon dan Fleksibilitas Pemesanan Lodge”. detikTravel (in Indonesian). Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- traveldailymedia.com https://www.traveldailymedia.com/agoda-and-jtb-corp-join-forces/. Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- ““เราเที่ยวด้วยกัน” ใช้คู่กับ แอปฯ “agoda” อย่างไร ให้ได้สิทธิ์โรงแรม-ที่พักราคาพิเศษ”. thansettakij.com/. Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- “AirAsia comes along with Agoda to broaden its choices, incentivise journey in SE Asia”. WIT. 2020-08-25. Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- “Travala.com Provides Agoda Resorts, Posts File July Income as Crypto Funds Soar”. finance.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- “Agoda to put off 1 / 4 of its workers – Journey Weekly”.
- lottazachrisson (April 4, 2015). “Which on-line reserving website has one of the best reward program?”. USA In the present day.
- Burns-Francis, Anna (October 8, 2018). “Truthful Go: Wellington mum ‘gobsmacked’ after Auckland resort housebreaking as a consequence of botched safety”. 1 Information.
- Thiagarajan, Tara (December 22, 2017). “Agoda Refunds Lady RM18,000 For Reserving Non-Existent Lodge in Bangkok”. World of Buzz.
- Hamdi, Raini (July 11, 2019). “Agoda Dubbed ‘Lodge California’ in Asia as Lodge Suppliers Say They Can By no means Depart”. Skift.
- “Six resort websites comply with cease ‘deceptive’ ways and hidden prices”. Sky Information. June 2, 2019.
- Calder, Simon (October 27, 2017). “HOTEL Reserving Web sites Face Investigation into Promoting Practices”. The Impartial.
- “Tourism Minister calls on Agoda, OTAs informed to drop unlawful accommodations”. The Phuket Information. April 1, 2017.
- “Phuket Information: Ministry to tackle massive resort reserving websites”. The Phuket Information. September 18, 2013.
- Robust, Matthew (June 12, 2018). “On-line reservation website Agoda to take away unlawful Taipei accommodations”. Taiwan Information.
- “Tourism physique to begin authorized motion towards 20 reserving portals”. Each day Sabah. September 8, 2018.
- “Turkey Seeking to Ban 20 Journey Reserving Websites”. GTP Headlines. August 14, 2018.
- “FTC points remedial order to Agoda, Reserving.com on refund insurance policies”. Pulse Information. November 21, 2018.
- “How About That? TCPA Class Motion Dismissed as Textual content Selling Defendant’s App Was Transactional Message–Specific Written Consent Not Required”. JDSupra. December 21, 2018.